Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dresser is Done!!

Yay!! My dresser is done!!! Check out the full story on my dresser here. You won't believe how easy and inexpensive this process is!

Supplies:
  • Sample Paint: $3.00
  • Clear Protector: $8.00
  • Knobs: $8.00
  • Sandpaper: $2.00
  • 2 Paint Brushes: $4.00
TOTAL: $25.00

This is what I started with. (A drawer is missing because I had already started sanding.) The dresser is going in our master bedroom which has black furniture. My goal was a soft black, for a dark, aged looking dresser.


First, I used my electric sander to remove the finish.



I painted the dresser with the drawers inserted, rather than painting the drawers and shell seperately. I did this because I wanted the paint to be darker in some areas for my aged apperance. In order to know where to apply more paint I needed to see the dresser all together.


I purchased sample paint from Home Depot. You are probably wondering how a sample size covered a dresser??? Well, I didn't want my paint job to look too perfect or thick. So, I just added water. Obviously, adding water means you won't need as much paint!



The watery mixture helped provide some wanted imperfections. It allowed the orignial grain of the dresser to come through in some spots. 


After the paint/water mixture dryed I took sandpaper to the edges of the shell and drawers. I also sanded the top, sides and faces of the drawers in certain areas. This again, was for my aged look.


Lastly, I covered the dresser with a clear protector. I added water to this as well and applied two coats.

 
As a side note: The clear protector will look white until it dries. (You can kind of see this in the picture below.) Feel free to skip the clear protector if you use a paint with any finish other than flat. Home Depot's sample paints only have the option of a flat finish. This is fine if that's the look you are going for, but don't forget, a flat finish often shows more fingerprints and smudges! 


Now, we need new knobs! This was the hardest part! If you have ever been to the knob section of Hobby Lobby you know exactly what I am talking about. ENTIRELY TOO MANY CHOICES!! My drive home I was a little worried I wasn't going to like the knobs I picked. However, once they were on my dresser, I was in love with my choice!! 

Reminder: Don't pay full price for your knobs! Hobby Lobby's go on sale about every other week. Mine were 50% off!! :o)



Now, enjoy your new dresser!!! 


Seriously, did I say this only cost $25.00??!!!







Linked With:

12 comments:

  1. Dresser looks amazing! Furniture transformations are my most fav things to look at. Love the drawer pulls.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dresser looks great! I love changing items and see the results. It just fun. Love the knobs. Thanks for sharing. I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    Have a great weekend
    ShowMeMama

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dresser turned out beautiful . i love the finish and the knobs go perfectly. love the name of your blog as well.. im following you back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! I'll have to remember the watered down paint truck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice dresser redo. Glad to see someone else is a fan of black furniture. I like your knob choice too and Hobby Lobby is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, love the way you finished it. Isn't it amazing what paint can do. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for checking out my blog & all your sweet comments!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I like the wood peaking through.
    Kate @ welcomedtempest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wood grain barely showing through the paint is wonderful! Love the knobs too - you should not have doubted yourself!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Even though you aged it - you really updated it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i awarded you the stylish blogger award. i hope you come and accept it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great transformation!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI! Don't forget to put the button in your post or sidebar!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...